Headline Writing Exercises. Say, when searching the web looking for a particular topic you will have a relevant list of articles from which to select. Which material do you choose? It is the one that has the answer. However, they all hold the answer. Therefore, you select the one that is the most intriguing. Moreover, ten times out of ten it is the headline that grabs your intention.
Headline | Definition of Headline by Merriam-Webster
Merriam-Webster › dictionary › headline. 1 : words set at the head of a passage or page to introduce or categorize. 2 a : a head of a newspaper story or article usually printed in large type and giving the gist of the story or article that follows b plural : front-page news <the scandal made headlines>
If only the definition of a headline was enough to follow when writing one. However, there is so much more to writing a headline for it to be effective. For a headline to be effective it must:
- show the reader the article is worth reading.
- Send a message to the average reader who read headlines and because of the headline they want to know more.
- Be so profound; that a target audience of a particular subject will want to read it before others.
- Offer a reward for reading the article.
Writing a profound headline is a skill, and to master writing, great headlines take practice through exercising. Furthermore, Headline Writing Exercises once learned, will make writing headlines second nature.
Headline Writing Exercises
The exercises in this article are mainly for those who already have learned the guidelines to writing magnetic headlines. Here are four ingredients for a complete headline.
- Inform-delivers facts, and be telling,
- Intrigue- arouse curiosity
- Interest-wanting to know more
- Incomparable-be unique
One exercise is to find your three or more of your worst headlines; it does not have to be your headlines they can come from anywhere and try to make them better. As you scale up in writing each headline, your ability to write them better improves when following the guides for writing headlines.
The second exercise is to write at least four headlines you are interested in and improve on each at least four times. The two exercises above exercises on repetition.
A Tactical Rewrite
Exercise: Try rewriting your headline several times, using another of these tactics below each time:
1.Write what is most intriguing about your message
2. Write what will come from your message
3. Write about what has gotten better about your product/service
4. Use words like “new,” “latest,” “announcing,”
5. Ask a question that readers need an answer to
6. Offer users a solution to a problem
Compelling Headline Formulas
Keep it simple
A direct headline is not often used. However, an immediate headline right to the point, especially with familiar brands and firm offers.
- Pure satin sheets 30% off
- The Ultimate Gas Saver
- FREE subscriptions
State the reason why it works
Your number one selling point should be stated first. That gives it the best chance of reaching your target.
- Light Your Way to a New car Now!
- Create your birthday cards in 3 minutes!
- Get a FREE bat when you a buy a dozen balls.
Make an Announcement
People are curious; it is human nature. We want to know. A headline offering news makes people wanting to be up on what’s new.
- American Scientists Have evidence of life on Pluto!
- Here is the newest idea weight loss
- Now look into your refrigerator by this simple app while at the grocery store to see exactly what you need
4. The how-to” phrase.
The how-to headline appeals to the need we have to improve ourselves in some way. The secret is to focus on a particular need.
- How to have success with a home business
- Learn how to lose weight in 30 days or your money back.
- How to travel in the cheapest way.
5. Pose a question about what you are selling.
A question will involve your reader directly. Your question must be relevant and definite about the benefit of the product or service.Do You Make These Six Common Mistakes On Your Taxes?
- Gotten tax issues? Read this.
- How do I know which car is right for me?
6. Bark a command.
This type of headline is direct and shows a benefit; it is not argumentative or conversational.
- Become an authoritative writer in 60 days.
- Reach anyone, with this online messenger!
- Stop wasting money on PPC spending. Get free traffic here!
Create your formula for useful guidelines to follow using the templates in the infographic below from IntNetworkPlus. Pick one of the six headlines; then, mix and match using the verbs, adjectives, calls-to-action and the phrases below to create unique, titles that readers will find intriguing.
Headline writing exercises are a way of learning to think about and critique your writing style. Moreover, your headline is the first impression of the article you have written. Therefore, it is essential that your headline intrigue prospects enough to read on.
If you are writing headlines, you are writing articles. Be your online articles are for monetary gain or not I can and will help you critique your headlines and your articles. Join my marketing team now! Let us give you the intense training and all the tools needed to set up an online business for free.
Furthermore, if you continue the training and join my marketing team, you will gain access to all that the program provides as shown in my review. There are discounts and bonuses chat-rooms and forums whit twenty-four-hour support be it technical or just website assistance.
See You On The Other Side
Thanks for stopping by. I wish you all the best in writing your headlines and your online business, and, may you have blessings and prosperity. Let’s communicate, share a comment or question, and I will get back in touch with you.